Saturday, May 15, 2010

How could I forget? Easy

One time Paul McCartney was making an "unplugged" solo version of "We Can Work It Out." He got several bars into the song and then stopped. He couldn't remember the words. One of the greatest pop composers of all time, and he couldn't remember the words of his own song. The first time I heard that gaff, I was aghast. But now, a few decades from my dotage, I unfortunately understand.

That forgetfulness has been cropping up around Wind and Bones. People mention lines they enjoyed, and I respond, "Did I say that?" I'm really thrilled when people have something memorable to quote from the book...it pleases me to no end...but sometimes, I don't remember writing it....much less editing it a dozen times.

So why is this happening...this geriatric-like forgetfulness? Because all I can think about these days is my current project.

I'm so steeped in 78 KEYS that Wind and Bones has taken a back seat. My new project pushes all else out of my mind. I'm thinking about Tarot cards again, after so many years of the cards languishing in the drawer. I'm thinking about settings in the Pacific Northwest that would be interesting as well as thrilling. My main character is Jewish, so I have to get her right. AND most of all, I have to write the damn thing. It's coming along; it's coming along, but not as quickly as I had hoped. Rad hopes to have it out a year from now, so I've got to write...and write....and write.

Paul McCartney, I forgive you for forgetting the words to a song I love. I know you were thinking about your next project.

Now let's all hum a few bars of "We Can Work It Out."

No comments:

Post a Comment